Thursday, December 16, 2010

Advent Calendar of Xmas Memories 12/16


Prompt for December 16:  Christmas at School -
What did you or your ancestors do to celebrate Christmas at school? Were you ever in a Christmas pageant?

Well, of COURSE I was in a Christmas pageant! I went to Catholic school, after all. I was Mary, mother of Jesus in third grade. In sixth grade I was in the school choir (along with my 5th-grade sister Karen) - snippets of the printed Christmas program are above.

Once a photographer from the Texas Catholic Herald came out to take the photo at right of my 8th-grade class lighting the candles on an Advent wreath. It was published December 18, 1970. I was very tall in 8th grade and you can see me in my dark-framed glasses at the upper left of the photo.

I went to an all-girls Catholic high school that held a formal Christmas Dance at a classy location each year. Being an all-girls school, of course the girls asked the guys to the dance. I invited someone each of the four years, but was turned down by the guys I invited in my freshman* and junior years because they were (supposedly) going to be out of town the dates of the dances, which fell in the week before Christmas. We girls bought a "bid" to attend the dance which resulted in a lovely engraved souvenir like the one at the left.

(*The guy I invited freshman year is at the far right in the windbreaker in the newspaper photo above.)

(Post #16 in the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories hosted by Geneabloggers.com. Originally published December 16, 2009.)

© Amanda Pape - 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment