Monday, September 12, 2011

Matrilineal Monday: Happy Birthday, Sister Jean Marie!


My aunt, Sister Jean Marie (born Jo Ann) Guokas, is 81 today, September 12.  This is one of my favorite pictures of her and her older sister, my mother, Geraldine Margaret Guokas Pape, taken sometime in the early 1930s, probably in Houston, Texas.

My aunt has been a nun with the Congregation of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament since 1949. She's had a very interesting life and has traveled more than I have! She just retired at the end of June.

© Amanda Pape - 2011 - click here to e-mail me.

3 comments:

  1. That is a great photo. I wonder if they were putting on a show or just dressing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, Kristin! I'll ask them and find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tales about your aunt the nun. I like all the curly hair in the photo!

    ReplyDelete