Friday, April 19, 2013

Friday's Faces From the Past: Charles Guokas Jr. in Galveston, 1926


Below left is my maternal grandfather, Charles Peter Guokas Jr. (1903-1967).  A note on the back of the picture says it was taken in Galveston, Texas, in 1926.  That was the year my grandparents got married and honeymooned at the Hotel Galvez.  This picture is taken along the Galveston Seawall (built in 1904), and I believe the building you can see in the background is the Hotel Galvez.

In the collage above, the top photo is an enlargement of the building in the photograph of my grandfather, and the bottom photo is an enlargement of the same area from the roof of the Hotel Galvez in the photo below that I took in January 2012.  The photo was taken from the top of the Seawall, across Seawall Boulevard from the hotel.  The angle isn't quite the same (since the photo of my grandfather was taken from the bottom of the Seawall), but I think it's the same building.  My grandmother, Sara Melzina Wolfe Guokas Archibald (1907-1997), might very well have taken this photograph of her newlywed husband during their honeymoon.


© Amanda Pape - 2013 - click here to e-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment