Monday, December 2, 2013

Advent Calendar: Christmas Cards

It's the annual Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories!  I've participated the past four years (2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012), but this year, there are some new prompts, and the sequence has changed for some old prompts used in previous years.  For the latter, rather than simply re-post, I'm going to link to the older posts, and - when applicable - post about something else that's at least somewhat related.

That's the case for today's prompt for December 2 – Christmas Cards:

Do you still send Christmas cards or has electronic communication taken the place of this tradition? Do you remember sending Christmas cards as a child – making a list, sending out your family’s cards and then checking the mailbox for cards sent to your family? How did your family display the cards?  Write about anything related to Christmas cards and your memories of Christmases past.

I still send real paper Christmas cards every year - in fact, I'm working on them as I write this post!

I wrote about my and my family's card traditions in 2009 and 2011, and also showed some old cards from Mark's parents and paternal grandmother.  In 2010, I wrote about a Christmas card from my relative, the architect Ewald T. Pape (1894-1976) that was in the collection of his first cousin, my great aunt, Martha Pape Bleidt (1890-1981).  Last year, 2012, I posted a photo greeting card of my cousins Terrie, Donna, Judy, and Bobbie from around 1970.


Today I have another old photo greeting card, this time of my maternal grandmother, Sara Melzina Wolfe Guokas Archibald (1907-1997), and her second husband, Wallace Franklin "Archie" Archibald (1896-1970).  The card has to be from 1970 or earlier, as Archie died June 26, 1970.  It's likely to be after 1945, as that is the year they got married.

© Amanda Pape - 2013 - click here to e-mail me.


The Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories (ACCM) allows you to share your family’s holiday history twenty-four different ways during December! Learn more at http://adventcalendar.geneabloggers.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment