Sunday, December 8, 2013

Advent Calendar: Christmas Shopping

It's the annual Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories!  I've participated the past four years (2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012), but this year, there are some new prompts, and the sequence has changed for some old prompts used in previous years.  For the latter, in some cases I'll simply re-post, while in others, I will link to the older posts, and - when applicable - post about something else that's at least somewhat related.

The prompt for today is:  December 8 – Christmas Shopping.

For many of us, the focus of the Christmas season isn’t on “things” but on family and friends. Still, we like to give presents – large and small – to those we love. Do you shop during Christmastime or do you shop much earlier in the year to get it out of the way? Have you seen a change in your shopping habits as you’ve gotten older? Do you shop online? Do you participate in Black Friday or Cyber Monday activities? What was Christmas shopping like for your family and ancestors?  Tell us about how you do Christmas shopping and your memories of Christmases past.

I've written about what Christmas shopping was like in my family of origin in previous years (2009, 2010, 2011)Last year (2012), I wrote about some cool gift ideas I saw among the exhibitors at the 2012 Texas State Genealogical Society conference.

To be quite frank - I HATE Christmas shopping - because I hate shopping, period.  My favorite part is wrapping up the few gifts I do give, preferably in the shiniest bags and papers possible, so there are lots of reflections on them from the lights on the tree:


presents under the Christmas tree - December 24, 2012

© Amanda Pape - 2013 - click here to e-mail me.

The Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories (ACCM) allows you to share your family’s holiday history 24 different ways during 24 days in December! Learn more at http://adventcalendar.geneabloggers.com.   

No comments:

Post a Comment