Friday, December 20, 2013

Advent Calendar: Christmas Parties

It's the annual Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories!  I've participated the past four years (2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012), but this year, there are some new prompts, and the sequence has changed for some old prompts used in previous years.  For the latter, in some cases I'll simply re-post, while in others, I will link to the older posts, and - when applicable - post about something else that's at least somewhat related.

The prompt for today is:  December 20 – Christmas Parties.  

Holiday parties, a neighborhood open house, buffets – all these take place in abundance during Christmastime. Do you throw a party each year or did your family throw parties around Christmas? Any special theme like Ugly Christmas Sweater or perhaps a gift wrapping or cookie decorating party?  Tell us about your best Christmas parties and your memories of Christmases past.

In 2009-2011, I wrote about and included pictures of Christmas and New Year's parties I attended 1976-1980In 2012, I wrote about a party for my parents in Chicago at Christmastime, 1953, after they got engaged.  (I also wrote about an Ugly Christmas Sweater contest at a staff party at work).

This year, I'm writing about the annual party my book club has in December.  The Third Tuesday Book Lovers don't discuss a book that month, but we have a little get-together with snacks and sweets (and wine) and a gift exchange.  Here we are right after eating and just before the exchange:


The gift exchange one of those games where you wrap the gifts, draw numbers, pick one, or "steal" one that someone before you has already opened. I actually HATE these games, except that in ours, the gift must be a book, and it cannot be one we've ever read in book club (and we have a list of all the books the group has read since 1999). Our game was pretty mild this year; there was no stealing - although I can tell you that if the book that was picked fourth had been picked before me rather than after (I picked third), I would have stolen it!  Here is a picture of all of the books:



© Amanda Pape - 2013 - click here to e-mail me.

The Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories (ACCM) allows you to share your family’s holiday history 24 different ways during 24 days in December! Learn more at http://adventcalendar.geneabloggers.com.   

No comments:

Post a Comment