Friday, April 18, 2014

Surname Saturday: Ancestry.com Ethnicity Estimates for Mom & Dad

The offspring just asked some questions about where the ancestors came from, so here's a quick reply.  A while back I had my parents' autosomal DNA tested through Ancestry.com (and also uploaded the raw data files to Family Tree DNA).  Here are the Ethnicity Estimate charts for Dad and Mom:


 Dad's above and Mom's below.


Keep in mind that these charts reflect migration patterns from thousands of years ago.  That being said, the charts do fit what I know about the ancestry of my parents.  Dad's immigrant ancestors (Pape, Kramer/Cramer, Massmann, Dienes) came almost entirely from Germany (Europe West) - and of course, many of the Germanic peoples were originally from Scandinavia.  I have to say, I am intrigued by the Iberian Peninsula and Italy/Greece strains in his background.

Mom's paternal ancestors (Guokas, Banavich/Bonewitz/Boenewitch) immigrated from Lithuania, which is reflected in her Europe East and Finland/Northwest Russia ethnicity.  Her maternal ancestors included German immigrants (Wolfe, DeHaven, Horein - the Europe West and Scandinavia) as well as Shelton, Bridges, and Spikes, who likely originated in Great Britain and Ireland.

You can learn more about AncestryDNA here.

© Amanda Pape - 2014 - click here to e-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment